What you will need:
1. Swarovski flatback rhinestones NON-HOTFIX: size ss9 (2.6mm), ss12 (3.2mm), ss16 (4mm), ss20 (5mm), ss30 (6.5mm) and ss40 (8.6mm). View Swarovski flatback Crystals
2. Jewel setter: This is a plastic wand with a wax bud one side and pointed end the other, it makes picking up rhinestones very simple. View Jewel setter
3. e6000 adhesive: This is an industrial strength craft adhesive that’s very strong, flexible, waterproof and clear in colour. It should be used in a well ventilated area with a mask for protection from the harmful fumes. View e6000 glue
4. Craft Syringe: For precision application of the adhesive. Syringe can be found here
5. Bluetack: Piece of Bluetack to plug the syringe end.
6. Orange stick: Small wooden stick used for pushing back cuticles.
7. High heel shoes: To add the crystals to.
1. Squeeze a small amount of glue into the syringe (don’t fill the syringe as seen in the image below), you can always add more as required. The syringe can be used again if cleared out after use otherwise any adhesive left in the syringe will thicken if left overnight and set after two or three days.
2. Once the syringe and adhesive have been assembled poke the end of the syringe tip into the Blue Tack which will prevent the glue from setting. An alternative to BlueTack is to dampen a piece of kitchen roll and place into the bottom of a cup, the syringe can then be placed into the cup where the damp kitchen towel will help to prevent the adhesive in the tip from curing/thickening. Each time you finish applying adhesive to a crystal embed the tip back into the BlueTack or place in the cup with the tip pointing down.
3. Get the various sized crystals ready by placing them faceted side up onto a clean dry surface ready for use.
4. Using the Jewel setter pick up the first crystal by gently touching the crystals faceted face with the wax bud tip. Please Note * The wax sometimes leaves small amounts of wax on the rhinestone crystal, leave until the adhesive is dry then it wipes off.
5. Squeeze a small amount of adhesive onto the foiled side of the crystal (back of the crystal).
6. Place the crystal into position on the shoe, use the orange stick to release the crystal from the jewel setter wax bud. Once the crystal is on the shoe surface press down on the crystals faceted face with the flat surface of the orange stick for 4-5 seconds to allow the adhesive to bond with the shoe surface. The shoe in this tutorial is suede which means that failure to press the crystals down firmly will result in the adhesive just bonding to the crystals foil surface and falling off the shoe.
7. When you press down of the crystal adhesive it will squeeze out from around the sides of the crystal which can then be removed with the pointed tip of the orange stick. Using the pointed tip scrape around the outer edge of the rhinestone in a circular motion and any adhesive will come free and stick to the orange stick. Wipe the excess glue removed from the jewel setter tip with a piece of kitchen roll, not toilet paper as the fibres will stick to the jewel setter tip and transfer to the glue.
8. Continue adding crystals of varying sizes to the shoe surface by repeating steps 5-7, you can alter the size of the gap between the crystals to suit your design. The smaller the gap between the various size crystals, the more crystals the design will take. Notice how the crystals look dull, don’t worry about this as its just wax and can be cleaned off the crystals once the adhesive is dry.
9. Once the base of the shoe is complete it’s time to start on the heel, this is where the ss9 and ss12 crystals come in handy for the bottom of the heel especially the curved surface.
10. Start with the smaller crystals at the bottom of the heel ss9, ss12 and ss16.
11. ss20 Crystals can be added to the edge of the heel but not the curve until higher up on the heel.
12. As the heel gets thicker you can start to introduce ss30 to the design.
13. Continue adding crystals a few ss40 crystals can be added to the top part of the heel and the completed heel can be seen below.
14. Once the adhesive is dry remove any wax from the crystals with a soft dry cloth and the sparkle will return to the crystals.
15. One complete shoe…… You can alter the spacing between the crystals to suit the look you require.
Author : Crystal and Glass Beads